Online dating is one of the easiest ways to meet and connect with people from around the world. According to recent studies, over 49 million people worldwide have tried online dating. In the UK alone, there are about 1,400 dating sites that provide matchmaking services to singles in Europe.
Having been single for a couple of years now, and unsuccessfully matched by family and friends, I decided to give online dating sites that are available in Belgium a try. In my quest to find romance online, I stumbled upon Meetic.
A Quick Overview of Meetic
Meetic was founded by Marc Simoncini in 2001 as a French online dating service site. In 2009, Meetic was reported to have 30 million subscribers worldwide, and because of its massive growth, it later partnered with an American marketing company, InterActive Corp, in 2013.
Meetic dating services are available in 15 European countries in 13 languages. To access Meetic you can use your smartphone, laptop, and even a smartwatch. It is available on IOS, Windows, and Android.
Finding Love Via Meetic.be
Meetic.be is the most popular dating website in Belgium. With over 6 million subscribers in Europe, many singles like me turn to Meetic.be to find love. To use Meetic.be you have to be 18 years and above.
Once you register for the service you can browse through other singles profiles and decide who you would like to meet. Creating a profile is easy, the process takes a few minutes. However, the approval of your account can take a while.
You can register for free, but to be able to enjoy the site’s premium features, you must pay for one of their monthly subscriptions. If you plan to utilize the site without subscription, prepare yourself for a little disappointment. Here are the subscription costs for Meetic.be
|PRICE PER MONTH
Here are the things you can enjoy for free:
- Creating a profile with a picture of your choice. With 5 MB available for photo upload.
- You have the choice to create a questionnaire (20 items). This will be attached to your profile.
- Receive 6 matches per day with the option to rate each.
- Create your ‘favorites list’ which is a great way to communicate with other members.
- You can see who is online and receive profile alerts every day.
- Meetic.be also sends recommended matches and alerts via email.
- You can do some flirting with members by sending winks.
- Access to site is free.
Perks for paid membership:
- View other members with specified profiles.
- A choice to make your profile “private” and be made available only to specific groups or profiles.
- Access to numerous profiles and be able to specify your preference.
- Unlimited messaging to members.
- Access to chat rooms.
- Be able to send unlimited emails using the site’s email system.
- Be a priority member.
I have read some complaints from other dating review sites about Meetic.be. There have been some issues about billing and cancellations of accounts. Make sure that your credit card allows you to easily cut off payments upon request. Paypal is a convenient way to pay Meetic.be for you can instantly stop payments.
Read the website’s terms and conditions. If possible, print it out for your records. This may come handy in the future.
Is Meetic.be Worth A Try?
Meetic.be’s aim is clear- to help you find friendship or love. Many have been successful in finding love on the platform, and you too may be lucky.
My advice is to make your profile complete, and make good use of the website’s search feature to narrow down on a potential partner. Using search you can filter depending on habits, activities, religion, language, nationality, education, occupation, marital status and physical features.
Be careful when you start engaging someone you like to avoid scams.
Unlike other dating sites, Meetic.be does not require you to fill long personality tests. It also does not have surveys for you to take before joining. However, there are pre-set matching features. These include:
- Perfect Match which gives a list of matches according to your preference. This is available for free and paid memberships.
- Reverse Match which gives a list of members who are searching for someone like you.
- Mutual matches which gives a list in combination of the perfect match and reverse match.
One of the fun features of Meetic is being able to “wink” at someone you like and receive a wink back as well. Another is that the site sends notifications via email for you to be updated all the time. However, to be able to answer messages, you need to subscribe.
Meetic.be is quite appealing because of its international focus. It also has a mobile app for you to date on the go.
My rating for Meetic.be:
▶ Website Design ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
▶ Sign Up Process ⭐⭐⭐⭐
▶ Privacy ⭐⭐⭐⭐
▶ Communication with other members ⭐⭐⭐
▶ Customer Care ⭐⭐
▶ Cost ⭐⭐
▶ App ⭐⭐⭐⭐
▶ Overall experience ⭐⭐⭐⭐
Here are some reviews made by others about their experience with Meetic.be:
“Upon my registration, I immediately receive tons of messages every single day. Annoying.”
Rating: ⭐⭐ – Mikaela Collins, 40, Brussels
“ Meetic.be is active. There are a few of bad matches. But my experience with the site is okay. I’ve met a couple of guys near my location and was not disappointed.”
Rating: ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ – Sanaya Cooke, 46, Brussels
“I met my wife there. She was 35 and a therapist. We chatted for hours and eventually decided to meet in person. It was a great experience. My subscription was totally worth it.”
Rating: ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ – Ezekiel Ward, 50, Antwerp
“I found myself caught in a romance scam. He made me fell in love with his sweet words. He knocked me off my feet. And then suddenly, after 4 months, he just disappeared. I was heartbroken. And I decided to delete my account.”
Rating: ⭐ – Mehreen Glass, Bruges
“If you are seriously looking for someone to be your partner, meetic.be is the place to be. My subscription is still active. I am having fun with it.”
Rating: ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ – Ifan Snyder, 44, Ghent
Online Dating Tips For Women
There are more and more women who are into online dating nowadays. If you are like me who has ditched the traditional way of dating, here are some tips to help you date safely online.
- Try out several dating sites first and see how it goes.
- Make your profile simple yet attractive. Upload a photo that best describes you. Never lie. If you have children, say it. If you are voluptuous, flaunt it. Do not upload a photo of your skinny self 20 years ago if in reality is you are a 200lb individual. Honesty will pay off in the end.
- Be confident and do not expect too much. It is normal to feel nervous at first, just be yourself.
- You may receive hundreds of messages from men around the world. It is ok if you do not entertain some. It is ok to reject someone. It is your choice. Be on the lookout for the spark and chemistry.
- Be vigilant. There are tons of fake profiles around. Never disclose your bank accounts or credit card information to anyone even if you have chatted for quite some time.
- Identify your goals so that you know the best dating website to help you meet these goals.
- If you decide to meet personally, always keep in mind your safety. Notify a friend about your plans. Tell someone about your whereabouts.
- Keep an open mind. No relationship is perfect. Manage your expectations and just have fun.